Newsletter for 8/11/08 ...


News, notes and necessities

items of interest the week of August 11, 2008

an occasional update from me, Scott Leffler


News: While the calendars may not indicate it, I feel we're in for a busy week.

This morning on Reason, I'm going to talk a little more about the Canadian beheading we discussed briefly on Friday ... and the response it recieved from some religious zealouts. Their reaction, frankly, is disgusting.

Meanwhile, over at WLVL, we'll talk Albany with Bob Confer, who based his weekly column on the beheading. You can read it at BobConfer.net.

Tomorrow is the day that a lot of people seem to have been looking forward to. I've interviewed congressional candidate Jon Powers a few times, but this interview seems to have gotten the attention of some folks for some reason. Jon will be my guest on Dialog from 11:15 until 11:45. At the moment, I'm planning on taking phone calls, but fear that it may not work out ... so if you've got a questions that just HAS to be asked, email it to me at scott@scottleffler.com.

Wednesday, I'll re-air that interview on WECK for the Buffalo listeners ... and on WLVL, I'll host the Niagara County Historical Society.

Right now Thursday and Friday are blank, but we'll see what happens between now and then. I'm hoping to book someone from the Tax Foundation to discuss New York State's place on the highest taxed list.


Notes: With some spare time on my hands, I made a new video blog post yesterday, discussing the Olympics, the scenery at the Bisons game and the marijuana in the air at last Friday's Riders on the Storm concert.

I'm watching a lot of Olympics. More than I figured I would. I think my wife has a lot to do with that. How much are you watching? Vote in the poll at www.scottleffler.com.

The forum has 24 users now. All the games are active. Go play. Comment. Have fun.

I'm always on the lookout for other local commentary, whether it be from blogs or YouTube ... if you run across something with WNY flavor, send me a link.

Be sure to listen to 2:00 of Reason today, the topic being President Bush's presence at the Olympics. It airs in the morning at WECK, at 2:30 p.m. on WLVL ... and will be up on the podcast later this morning.

I'm in the process (this morning) of posting a bunch of photos I've been meaning to get to ... check the blog for that later ... including a great photo of me and a turkey.

You probably already know that WECK broadcasts live on the internet. You can listen at WECK1230.com. Something tells me that WLVL will begin streaming some time soon, too. So you can listen to both shows from the comfort of your laptop.


Necessities: I found another cool chat program. This one's called eBuddy. And the best thing about it is that it's completely web based. No software to install means you can use it from any computer you're on.

Someone asked not too long ago what program I use to make this newsletter. It's called Evrsoft First Page. It's a fairly simply WYSIWYG editor. And it's free!


I sent this to you because I thought you might appreciate it. If I was wrong, please just respond and ask to be taken off the mailing list. I'll take care of it. If this was forwarded to you and you'd like to receive future updates, please email scott@scottleffler.com and ask to be added to the list. I'll make that happen.