Transformers Movie: Go see it ...

I like movies. My family does the Blockbuster movies by mail thing and we love it. But that's how we see most movies - on DVD. We seldom go to the movies. Part of it is because of financial reasons, but mainly it's becuase there aren't that many movies that come out that I feel compelled to see in the theater.

But when I heard that a Transformers live-action movie was coming out in theaters, I knew I had to go see it.

I read reviews galore and watched all the trailers. Some of the things I was hearing concerned me. Megatron's not a gun? Bumblebee's a Camaro? The whole thing is really just an ad campaign for General Motors? And what? No Sound Wave? But still, as an avid fan of the old series and the 1986 movie, I was still down.

So I dragged the wife and kids to the Regal 18 in Lancaster/Wiliamsville yesterday afternoon to see Transformers on opening day ... and I'm glad I did.

Despite the odd changes, the movie worked. The acting was good and the Transformers themselves looked awesome. Oh ... and Sound Wave is in it. Although they never call him Sound Wave and he's not the same form from the cartoon. There is a boombox that shoots CDs.

The action was great. And the plot (yup, there's a plot) was pretty tight.I had several favorite parts, but I'll let you come up with your own.

If you're a fan of the old show, I think you'll like the movie. If not, you probably won't enjoy it. I think my wife was bored, but the kids loved it.

I can't wait for it to come out on DVD. I won't be renting it from Blockbuster, though. I'll be buying it.