Joe Bruno: "It is time to move on."

Albany's Time Union has posted a speech given by New York State Senate Majority Leader Joe Bruno, indicating that he will not seek re-election in November.

Today, I met with my Republican colleagues in the Senate and informed them that I will not be running for re-election this November.

After 32 years in office, I have decided that it is time to move on with my life and to give my constituents an opportunity for new representation and my colleagues in the Senate who have supported me, an opportunity for new leadership.

Public service has been a blessing for which I will be ever grateful. I have had the opportunity to work for and with hundreds of proud, distinguished New Yorkers. I have viewed my work not as a job, but as a privilege to come here day in and day out and stand up for the people of Rensselaer and Saratoga counties and stand up for the hardworking people I have come to know over the years.

Politics is a tough ball game. Tougher now than it has ever been. But after 32 years of many successes and a few failures, I know now more than ever, and I can say that with comfort and confidence, there is no calling greater than that of public service. There have been few more rewarding experiences in my life. But, timing in life is everything. While there may never be a good time to make these kinds of life decisions, I have decided that it is time for me to move on with my life.

I do so with a heavy heart, but an optimistic soul. And I will rest peaceful in the knowledge that so many great things lie ahead for this great State that I have had the honor and privilege to serve.

With the Senate hinging on a single vote, who knows what this could mean for New York's "senior body," but it means something different. And given the disaster that New York has been, different has got to be good.